Tuesday 14 January 2014

My little one

Today my little one turns 5. He is now a whole hand. My tiny little boy, who still fits size 3 clothing, is growing so fast. Too fast it seems.
Giving birth to him seems like it wasn't that long ago, but in truth it has been exactly 5 years. How did that happen?
Perhaps this is more bittersweet for me because he is my last. My body will no longer grow a child. I will no longer get those newborn snuggles, steal those first kisses or hear mommy for the first time ever.
Not that I'm hoping it would have happened again, I'm quite content with my 4 boys.

But my baby is no longer a baby. He will be starting school.
I can already see the changes in him.
How did he grow so big? How did he get so smart?
Why does it feel as though in just a blink, my boy changed so much?
5 years ago, my doctor placed a tiny, blonde haired, wrinkly little boy on my chest. I wrapped my arms around him for the first time. I kissed his nose, his cheeks, his fingers and toes. I explored every inch of his round little body, feasting my eyes upon my son. MY son. I brought him up to my heart and he curled right in as though he knew that's exactly where he belonged. And he hasn't left.
If my whole life could be defined in moments, just little moments, where I knew without a doubt that what I did mattered, this would be one of them. The day he came into this world.
Happy birthday to an incredibly gentle and loving and beautiful soul. My heart will always be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment